Monday, November 2, 2009

This is how we do it!

We're shaking things up this year in our house. In previous years we've made a Thankful Turkey see here for last year's Turkey. We will do a Thankful Turkey again this year, partially because I love doing it and partially because it is a great FHE right before Thanksgiving.This year though we're doing a "Thanksgiving Thankful Countdown". I ran across someone talking about it on their blog, and although I can't remember what blog, whoever it was got it from SugarDoodle. It's kind of like a Journal Jar with 26 slips of paper that you start on Nov. 1 and end on Thanksgiving. Each one has something they are (or should be) thankful for and an activity to go with it. For example...I am Thankful for my Family, I am Thankful for Pies (this one involves making a pie for someone....we exchanged it for brownies since it is a more kid friendly dessert...to make anyway), I am Thankful for Teachers, I am Thankful for our Car (this is my favorite because it says to go clean the car!), I am Thankful for the Scriptures, I am Thankful for my hands....etc.

I was really impressed by these because some are geared toward KatieJo and Samuel's age and some are geared toward Phillip although the others will have fun with them too...like the I am Thankful for my hands it says to do an Art project involving finger painting or drawing.

Last night KatieJo drew "I am Thankful for my Cousins" with the instructions to call one of your cousins. We killed 2 birds with one stone and called James & Aimees son Stephen (Samuel's choice) and daughter Anne (KatieJo's choice). We wish we would have had time to call more cousins, but we started a little late last night.

It's fun to see the kids get so excited about being Thankful!

5 comments:

The Cleverley's said...

Um ok. I need to know where you got the ideas. I want to do this even though I am a couple of days off.

Chaney said...

Chrystal, if you click on the link to Sugar Doodle it'll take you right to it.

Hannah said...

This is a great idea!! I love sugar doodle. They have some great stuff there. I hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving this year!!1

Montserrat said...

LOVE this idea!

Aimee said...

Stephen and Anne were so excited to get the phone call. I think we'll have to let them call your kids now and then. We REALLY miss our cousins!