Thursday, May 20, 2010

And I opened my mouth....

KatieJo and Phillip have their dance recital this Saturday. We are very excited around here because Grandma and Grandpa Baxley and Auntie Cori and Carson are coming up to see it!

So, yesterday (Wednesday) during Phillip's dance class the teacher was showing us the boy's costumes which consist of a white button up shirt and black pants. The shirts came with blue and white checkered ties. And the teacher was saying how she wished she could find a tie that would match the girls outfits (see below). This is where I open my mouth and said..."it wouldn't be hard to make a tie or bowtie for the boys" (there are 2 boys in the class).

She of course jumped right on it and asked me to make them....go me. Originally she wanted me to "cover" the ties. I convinced her it wouldn't look very good and talked her into bow ties. So I spent 2 hours last night tearing this dress apart:I was AMAZED at how many seems I had to rip out in order to save enough fabric to make the bow ties.

And tonight I spent approximately an hour making these:
The reason it took an hour was because I had to make a couple "prototypes" before I could make the actual bow ties because there wasn't enough fabric to make them the way the pattern I have says to make them. They don't have the typical double bow of a bow tie, but I think they turned out good...even if I did cut a few corners. They will never be worn again so I figured if I cut a corner or two it wouldn't be a big deal.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You go girl!!

Hannah said...

Now they just need a big silver heart in the middle.

Very cute! Someday, I want to be as crafty and capable as you are.

The Cleverley's said...

That sounds like something I would do. Unintentionally volunteer myself. They look great despite your "cutting corners". Good job. Oh and you really need to move to denver so we can do craft therapy together.

James and Aimee said...

Way to go, Chaney! They look awesome!