Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The end is Coming!!

The end is coming sooner than we wanted! Stuart had to start back to work last Friday, which has proved a bigger deal than I originally thought. Before he went back Phillip was pretty much potty trained....then he went back and now Phillip is almost flat out refusing to use the toilet (except at bedtime when he doesn't want to be in bed.) GRRRRRR.

Everyone else seems to be doing fairly well with Stuart being back to work. Although because dad is back to work that means we are closing in on the kids going back. KatieJo is THRILLED to be going back and is anticipating 2nd grade with JOY. Phillip thinks he's going to High School because that's where dad is. (Luckily for him, he'll be able to go to the HS everyday for lunch with dad). Maija is blissfully unaware of anyone leaving, although I predict she'll be looking for KatieJo & Samuel next week.
But, Samuel is feeling a little displaced. During the last school year he attended 1st grade for most academics and attended kindergarten for most of the other classes. We were told at the end of the year that he would be put in 2nd grade if he passed the end of the 1st grade tests with 80% or better...which he did. Then because we were getting a new principal she decided that the tests weren't accurate enough and flat out vetoed the move.
However, we didn't agree with the decision and after doing our own research and talking to Gifted and Talented directors from other districts etc. We decided to fight the decision. So a few weeks ago we had a meeting with the Superintendent and the Special Ed Director. As it turns out the people that made the decision at the school level shouldn't have been involved in the decision, so last Thursday Samuel had testing for over 5 hours, and I had to be there for approximately an hour to answer questions and do a social history. Now we are waiting for the results so we can schedule a meeting and find out what grade Samuel will be in come Monday morning.
We are frustruated because there is an open house tomorrow night to meet the teachers and drop off their school supplies. And as we'd like Samuel to attend a different school so that none of the kids will know he was supposed to be in 1st grade we were hoping to have the answer and be able to attend tomorrow night. No such luck!
We are also keeping the option open to enroll him in what is called the k12 program. It is an accredited online program monitored by licensed teachers.
I guess what frustrates us more than anything is that everytime we go in and ask for more testing or tell them that he's smart they look at us like we're idiots. Yes, most parents feel that their child is brilliant (and really...who's isn't?). Then, because Stuart works for the district they decide to do the testing and...OH MY GOODNESS he really is smart! You're right.
I know it's hard to have kids who don't get it and to have to get the district your kids attend give them the services they need. But we feel like they are sweeping our kids under the carpet because they'll be able to perform on the tests...so why do anymore for them? Why does it have to be such a fight to get kids at the opposite end of the spectrum the services they need?
Oh, and did I mention that I LOVE principals from other schools who neither know my child or know that my husband works for the district (because I failed to mention it to see how she would treat me), that LIE to you? She told me that there is a district policy about advancing kids....which there isn't....we read the ENTIRE school district policies. And, she also told me it's normal for a 6 year-old to read Harry Potter....Really? Hmmmm, I guess those children's literature classes I took lied to me and so did the Superintendent who said it's atypical.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.....Maybe.

1 comment:

Humphries said...

I hate when people treat others like they are complete fools, do they really think you can't research the info yourself?? I hope that you get an answer soon and that Samuel will be where he should be.