Monday, September 21, 2009

It happened

It's official. The illness I dread the most throughout the whole year has hit our home.
KatieJo, Phillip, Maija and I went down to my parents house on Friday night in order to be at Broomfield Days (Broomfield is the town I grew up in and Broomfield Days is their annual festival) on Saturday. Stuart and Samuel stayed in Rawlins on Friday so that they could go to Rock Springs on Saturday for Stuart's football game and then they came down to Broomfield afterwards so we could celebrate Stuart's 30th birthday.

The three kids and I had a wonderful time at Broomfield Days with my friend Melanie and her 3 kids and her family. We got to watch the parade and then the kids got to use the money they "earned" by doing their chores to play on some of the rides. KatieJo chose to do "Mount Rushmore" which is where she had to climb to the top of this huge jumpy thing and then slide down the big slide that went almost straight down. Phillip chose the jumping castle, which was good because the guy kept letting him run on and do it again for free.

Saturday evening when Stuart and Samuel got into town we had ice cream cake from DQ (Stuart has been wanting one for a LOOONNNNGGG time!). And then my mom watched the kids so that we could go out to dinner. We went to Heaven Dragon which is our favorite Chinese restaurant.

Then Sunday rolled around and my mom and I went down to Denver to get my Great-Aunt Ila's clothes as she had 2 strokes a couple weeks ago and has been moved to a nursing home. When we got back to my parent's house I found KatieJo not acting quite right. They had all been down in the park behind my parents house watching the dog diving competition (which was COOL!). As it turns out she had a low grade fever. I'm not sure what prompted me to bring the thermometer on this quick trip, but I did. So, we kept her home from school today and her nose started running like a faucet (literally. I've never seen a nose run like that!) and she's been coughing etc. What prompted us to take her to the urgent care was that her fever went from low grade to 101-102 in a couple hours. Of course she has the flu. It couldn't be strep throat or an ear infection (like Phillip had last week), NOPE. Had. to. be. the. FLU!
We won't know for another week as to whether or not it's the Swine variety, but we got her into the doctors in time for the Tamiflu to work. You have to start it within the first 48 hours of symptoms. Yay me for being paranoid! (I think.)

So, KatieJo can't go back to school until at least Monday and I've e-mailed her teacher and the Principal. Funny enough earlier today the Principal told me if she were her daughter she'd take her in. (Why I was on the phone with her is for another post).

Well, here's to hoping all will be well in the Mobley household soon!

2 comments:

James and Aimee said...

We are finally all over the flu. Pretty much. Everyone is back in school. I still hear the occasional cough. I took a very long time for everyone to get their strength back. We're pretty sure we had the swine flu. We never went into the doctor, but that's what was going around here at the time. Like thousands of cases between Moscow and Pullman. Anyway, we did learn one important thing. The fever will go away and you will start feeling all better for a day or so and then the next day you're right back in bed. It happened with each of the kids. Poor Stephen and Annie were the first ones to get it so I actually sent them back to school and then had to come pick them up from school early. It wasn't the worst illness we've ever had, but it did take awhile to get completely over it.

Sorry for the long comment. I hope you are all healthy and feeling well soon. And I hope you can avoid getting it, Chaney.

And a very happy late birthday to Stu! James tried to call on Sunday, but I guess this post explains why you guys weren't home. I'm sure he'll call again soon.

Hannah said...

I am crossing my fingers that no one else in your family gets sick. Hope KatieJo feels better soon.