Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Just Me

Wordful Wednesday over at Chocolate on my Cranium is about who I am.....WHOOEEE, what a topic. She sure does know how to pick them!
When I was younger I defined myself by the music I played. I have always loved playing the piano, but I hated playing in public. So, my music at home when my parents were in bed at night was me. I don't usually make mistakes when I play just for myself. However, put me in front of people...even in Relief Society where it is my calling to play the piano I make MONUMENTAL mistakes. But, I love playing the piano and over the years I have learned to laugh at myself (yes even in Relief Society) out loud when I make a mistake. I'm sure it drives people nuts, but if I can't laugh at the silly mistakes who's going to?

There was a time I also defined myself by the classes I took or the fact that I was "ahead" of the game when I graduated from high school as a sophomore in college. The plan was to graduate with a bachelors degree by the time I was 20...HA! That sure didn't happen. There were much grander plans for me and truthfully I'm not upset by those plans. Occasionally I wish I had a degree, however I have 4 small children and working outside the home right now it's an option.This picture is from the day my husband graduated with his bachelor's degree.

Most often these days I define myself by the 5 other people in this picture:I am a Best Friend, Wife and Mother. I love who I am right now (for the most part). I love my kids and I love my husband. I don't always have a perfectly clean house, but I don't define myself by that (THANK GOODNESS!). I also LOVE love LOVE to read!!! And I'm grateful that rubbed off on my kids!I have always loved doing crafts, however I have discovered in the past few years that I am pretty good at them. I have taught myself to sew (because I didn't want to learn when my mom wanted to teach me), and I LOVE it! I also love crocheting and painting and doing a myriad of other crafts. OH, and don't forget scrapbooking! I also made my first wedding cake recently. I think it turned out great! I grew up with my mom decorating cakes as a side job. She recently gave up cake decorating except for a few instances and so I inherited all of her supplies. This picture is of my 4 kids and the dresses I made for the girls (and the bows to- they are a little "Whovilleish", but neither was awake when I made them to see how big they would be) and I made the bowties for the boys. Normally I would have made the bowties match the girl's dresses, however the boys just aren't into pink!I guess that's who I am in a nutshell....a craft loving, reading, wife and mom. Guess I'd better go get busy on those things!

4 comments:

Montserrat said...

And it sounds from your writing that you are upbeat and cheerful too!

Anonymous said...

Nice nutshell...

Aimee said...

You write so well, Chaney. I can't tell you how glad I am to have you for a sister-in-law. You are quite the woman!!!

kjha said...

I like the idea of defining yourself. And I am the same way with the piano, but I'm trying to overcome!