Stuart and I are in the process of renewing our Temple Reccomends and so were supposed to have a meeting with our Bishop and the Stake President tonight. However, because of the weather the Stake President couldn't make it to town. We decided to go ahead with the meeting with the Bishop so that when the Stake President reschedules we already have part of the process complete.
I'm quite a bit upset after my interview with the Bishop. At first everything went fine. He asked the normal questions...no surprises. That is until after he was done and he looked at Maija and asked how she was fitting in. I thought it was a little strange and said that everyone loves her. He proceeded to go on and say "It must be hard." I wasn't sure what he was talking about and asked him to clarify. He then told me it must be hard to adopt and to love the kids and asked if I felt I treated them any different than Phillip. SERIOUSLY?!?!?
He asked several other questions along that line and then let me leave and went to get Stuart. I was BLOWN away. I've been having a hard time lately and one of the things I've been struggling with is feeling like I'm a bad mom. Not for anything specific necessarily, and not to just one or two of my kids but to all of them.
It took us a long time to get to be parents. We were married 3 years when we got KatieJo & Samuel and I was so grateful to finally get to be a mom. It took almost 3 more years to have Phillip and just when we were thinking about trying for another baby I started having problems again and then we found out about Maija who has been a HUGE blessing to us.
There is a reason we got our kids the way we did. Heavenly Father has such a bigger plan that we could ever have! I wanted to be a mom, and I am a mom....does it matter how they came to be part of our family?
I should have told the Bishop that of course I treat them different, each of my children is so vastly different from the next that I cannot possibly parent them all in the same way. I wouldn't be an effective parent if I disciplined Phillip by giving him extra chores or by taking his books away like I do KatieJo and Samuel. But then again it doesn't work to discipline KatieJo or Samuel to take away their favorite car or train like it does for Phillip.
I guess I don't understand why someone would ask a question like that. He doesn't know why we adopted, and truthfully he doesn't really know us that well.
It has amazed me over the past 5 years how people, including some family members feel about adoption. My family, who we assumed would not be as welcoming of adopting kids have been nothing but supportive. On the other hand the people we expected to be the most understanding and supportive have been the exact opposite.
My children are blessed and we are blessed to get to raise them. Adoption is such a wonderful option. They are so many kids in this world who need someone to love them, and there are so many moms and dads that just need kids to love them. And I'm tired of the cynics in the world who think that just because I didn't give birth to all of my children that I can't possibly love them as much as a child that comes from my body.
I love my children and I am grateful EVERYDAY for the opportunity I have to be their mom!
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I agree with you 100%. One time I was at the airport and my 1 year old was throwing a fit, I let her do it because she just needed to get it out, some woman with a newborn walked up to me and told me that all I needed to do was pick her up and love her. I said maybe to a newborn, but when you are 7 months pregnant and a one year old is kicking and screaming you just let them have the tantrum and be done. She told me I was neglecting her and walked off. So as she was walking away I said the next time an 8 year old is throwing a fit I will just pick them up and love them, since we treat every kids exactly the same way no matter the situation. I know I was being a brat but I was so irritated!
You are a good mom for recognizing that each of your children are different and each of them require something different from you, whether they are adopted or not. Oh and adoption is really just a legal document isn't it? They are your children and you treat them they way HF would want you to otherwise you would have been able to have them right?
Sorry if all of that is a huge jumble...its 5:30 and I am fired up! Hahaha. You are a great mom, your bishop is a clueless man when it comes to mothering! Hahaha.
Oh that would make me so mad. It does not in anyway matter how you get your children as long as you love and care for them. I know way to many parents who are blessed with children and don't really pay attention or take care of them, so why not let someone else have them who would do such a better job.
I agree with you that no child is the same and you can't parent them the same way. You do such a wonderful job with you0r kids and they are so lucky to have you for their mom.
Hi Chaney,
I realize that you don't know me, but I was in the same ward as Stuart in Thornton and was privileged to be his den mother for a short period of time when he was a cub scout. He was awesome! and I'm sure he still is. I love reading your blog, as well as all of the other Mobley blogs. Anyway... I'll get to to the point. When I came into my current marriage it made my husband and immediate father as I had 2 children from a previous marriage. We were blessed, when three years later my husband was given the opportunity to adopt them. I sometimes wondered if he would treat his biological children differently than he did them. Well, I've spent the last 25 years finding out that he wouldn't. He has been wonderful and has given each child what they needed whether he was their natural father or adopted father. I really have to hand it to him. I'm not so sure that I would have been able to that. Bless you, my dear, for loving all of your children and giving each one what they need. It sounds like a whole lot of love to me.
I know I'm kind of late in commenting on this post, but I still wanted to let you know that I did read it.
I can't tell you how happy we are that you have all of you children. They are each so precious and so loved by you. We love you all!
Okay so I'm even later commenting than Aimee but let me tell you this. I agree with everything you said as well as the other commenters. you are an AWESOME mother and your children are yours. God choose them for you A LONG TIME AGO. Just b/c they all didn't come from your body doesn't make them any less yours. Just looking at them I can tell (as I have always said) they are your children. I am amazed that the Bishop would speak like that and I hope you have been able to make your opinion of his attitude known.
In case you don't realize it I consider you a wonderful friend and I hurt reading this because I know how much your children are blessed by you. Anyone who witnessed the adoption of KatieJo and Samuel felt the love you & Stuart have for them.
PS - I'll try to keep up better on your blog ;)
Post a Comment