Chaney
Would you like to get in on Wordful Wednesdays? Click here to check outIt's pronounced Ch-a-knee. I get a lot of Chancey, Shaney and Jamie's. It was a lot easier to tell people how to pronounce my name when Vice President Cheney was in office because people heard his name a lot. Now, I'm back to fending on my own.
My mom claims that because she carried me for 9 months she left the naming up to my dad....who claims he got it out of a baby book. And, they added Marie as a middle name because I was a girl (I guess I was supposed to be a boy...I didn't get that message!). I'm not so sure it really came from a baby book, I've yet to see it in one as I have named my children. My dad used to talk about Lon Chaney (the Dracula actor). He used to joke that I was named after him. I don't have any doubt that that's really where it came from. You see, my parents were planning on my being a boy (my younger sister was supposed to be a boy as well), and as far as I can tell from the various tellings of the story I was named long before I was born.
I never liked my name growing up. No one could ever pronounce it and it was so unusual! I wanted a name like Elizabeth or Jessica (from the Sweet Valley High Series). I wanted a "normal" name. However, I've grown into my name. I love that it's unique. I love that not everyone is Chaney. I never liked however that my mother claimed that it should be pronounced as Sha-nay. And still occasionally refers to me as such. I wouldn't have minded it so much except once someone heard that all I heard from that point on was "Shanaynay". I hated that!
It doesn't particularly matter to me that I may have been named after a Dracula actor (or a man for that matter). I love my name and it's me.
My mom claims that because she carried me for 9 months she left the naming up to my dad....who claims he got it out of a baby book. And, they added Marie as a middle name because I was a girl (I guess I was supposed to be a boy...I didn't get that message!). I'm not so sure it really came from a baby book, I've yet to see it in one as I have named my children. My dad used to talk about Lon Chaney (the Dracula actor). He used to joke that I was named after him. I don't have any doubt that that's really where it came from. You see, my parents were planning on my being a boy (my younger sister was supposed to be a boy as well), and as far as I can tell from the various tellings of the story I was named long before I was born.
I never liked my name growing up. No one could ever pronounce it and it was so unusual! I wanted a name like Elizabeth or Jessica (from the Sweet Valley High Series). I wanted a "normal" name. However, I've grown into my name. I love that it's unique. I love that not everyone is Chaney. I never liked however that my mother claimed that it should be pronounced as Sha-nay. And still occasionally refers to me as such. I wouldn't have minded it so much except once someone heard that all I heard from that point on was "Shanaynay". I hated that!
It doesn't particularly matter to me that I may have been named after a Dracula actor (or a man for that matter). I love my name and it's me.
Chocolate on my Cranium.


5 comments:
I have known a couple of people named Chaney! I wonder if it's more common is certain parts of the country?
It's very important to me to make sure I pronounce a person's name correctly. Sometimes is just floors me how people mispronounce a name when it's the slightest bit unusual - as they can't quite wrap their mind around it. JAMIE from CHANEY? I don't get that. My niece's name is Raine (pronounced rainy like rainy weather) and she's often referred to as Renae or even Reena. Reena? From Raine? C'mon! Sorry for going on and on - it's a pet peeve. :)
Ha! I think I read every Sweet Valley High book there was!
I've always loved your name and have never met anyone else named Chaney. It's as precious as you are!
Now that is someone to be named after!
I love your name.
My sister is named Seonaid (shaw-net) and hated it till she grew up as well, seems we have to grow up to appriciate our names! :)
Post a Comment