I've recently had an epiphany. Oh yes, I have. And what was that epiphany? I really don't like Valentines Day. That may sound a little sad, but really I've come to the conclusion that it's just an over commercialized holiday. Flowers, candy, dinner. Hmmm, over-rated. Really, what is the big deal about celebrating Valentines day when I can go on a date with my husband and we can express our love for each other whenever we want. Why does it have to be on Valentines Day? Does one day a marriage make?
Of course I could also feel this way because Stuart will be gone.....again on the Friday and Saturday before Valentines day. He also will be gone for the next 6 weekends sans Sundays. Kind of depressing, but such is the life of those who like to pay their bills...right (affirmation would be nice right about here)?!?!?
I thought about getting the kids a little valentines gift, however Stuart nixed that idea because I guess he thinks it's a little bit silly as well. I even thought about decorating, however I would have to make decorations and my hand isn't up to 100% yet so I can't make anything yet. I guess I could drape everything in pink and red....
Is there a Scrooge for Valentines Day?
Monday, January 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
I like Valentines because it is a guaranteed date. I don't get flowers or candy or gifts- but I do get a date, and I will love any holiday that gives me one of those!
Oh- I even decorate for Valentines because that is a nice subtle way to let Philip know that it is coming up soon. Sorry Stuart will be out of town this year.
I too like Valentine's day just because I love holidays. I decorate make gifts, bake goodies. It helps to get over the post Christmas funk.
I'm with you Chaney. Valentine's is a made up holiday and if I got flowers I would kill Brian for wasting the money --- give them to me when they aren't 4 times what they are worth or just to say I love you. We tell each other that is so many ways we don't need a day.
Now with that being said I will do something special for the kids b/c they don't understand yet that it is a commercial thing but it isn't anything big. Plus now with Lili's birthday the 13th I want her to realize her birthday is the reason to celebrate!
Post a Comment