Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A mothers role.....

I'm a mom, and more often than not I feel inadequate in the job I do every day. The only reason my house is spotless right now is because we are trying to sell it. Typically my 1 and 3 year-olds have toys strewn EVERY where, and I'm too busy trying to get our 6 year-olds lessons done for the day that I don't bother to help them pick up the toys until almost before my husband gets home from work. I struggle to think that I am a good mom, but I heard a song at a Time Out for Women a few years ago that touched me. Michael McLean has a way of doing that though, and this song really struck me. How often are we so busy that we can't see what we really are? We are fabulous mothers in whatever role we may be playing that day, and we need to give ourselves more credit than we do.

She doesn't Know


Quarter to seven on a Thursday night
She’s running late again
She gets a ticket ‘cause she ran the light
Racing to help a friend
Then she remembers a promise made
A couple of weeks before
She’d bake the brownies for the PTA
But she’s run out of time
So she gets hers from the store

Quarter to seven on a Friday night
She’s running late again
What can she wear that’s gonna look just right
At the party she’s throwing for him?
Living on rice cakes and Diet Coke
She hasn’t lost that much
Her dress is too tight and her hair’s a joke
But the party’s a hit
‘Cause it had her magic touch

And she doesn’t know
That she’s an angel in disguise
And she doesn’t know
That we see heaven in her eyes
And she doesn’t know that she’s all right
She might have been blinded by the light
Of all the good that she does
That she doesn’t know

She’s been worried ‘bout the kids next door
Since the breakup last fall
Got them some T-shirts from a Hard Rock store
That they haven’t worn at all
Reading the paper about some plight
Plaguing a distant shore
Pulls out her checkbook and starts to write
And feels guilty she doesn’t send more

She doesn’t focus on the good she does
All she sees is where she’s failed her part
Can’t she see that we think she’s a saint
Because she’s givin’ all she has straight from her heart

Quarter to seven on a Sunday morn
She’s on her knees again
Aching for all who’ve been bruised and torn
She’s pleading for help for them
She has a rather extensive list
Of those she’s been praying for
But then she remembers the ones she missed
How sorry she feels once more

‘Cause she doesn’t know
That she’s an angel in disguise
And she doesn’t know that we see
Heaven in her eyes
And she doesn’t know that she’s all right
She might have been blinded by the light
Of all the good that she does
But she doesn’t see it because

She hits a traffic jam on a carpool morn
And feels guilty what she’s thinkin’
When she honks her horn
She wrote a sympathy note for her dear friend, Grace
But got it lost somewhere in cyberspace
And at the charity auction when she wanted to help
She raised her hands so many times she sort of bid against herself
She got the casserole made for her friend who was sick
But then apologized because the crust was too thick
She’s runnin’ to the soccer and the baseball games
She cheers for the teams but forgets their names
She doesn’t know that she’s a miracle
She doesn’t know her love is lyrical
She doesn’t know this song’s for her to hear
She doesn’t know that we are so sincere
She doesn’t know that she’s the best
She doesn’t know she’s passed the test
She doesn’t know, she doesn’t know
She doesn’t know

Our children love us regardless of the mistakes we make and the silly things we do, and I'm grateful for that. I love them regardless of the mistakes they make and the things they do, so I'm not sure why I hold myself to a different standard. I'm so glad I get to be a mom!

To see more posts or to do Wordful Wednesday click HERE.

5 comments:

kjha said...

I'm so glad you reminded me of that song. I need to get that cd out again!

JRoberts said...

what a beautiful song...I have never heard it, but the words are inspired. We as women all to often sell ourselves short. Thanks for this.

Jannet said...

Here from WW.
I love that song, too! Funny, my husband has figured out whenever I play that CD he needs to take over a bit more of the parenting and give me few extra hugs!

Montserrat said...

I haven't heard the song either but it rings true!

The Cleverley's said...

Beautiful post. Lyrics to the song brought tears. We all feel wholly inadequate of this job we've been given as mothers, but it is amazing the lives we touch. You are a better mom, wife, friend than you give yourself credit for. Because you just don't know......how much you mean to everybody!