Sometimes I think that I have the better "half" of our marriage. I get to stay home with the kids. Yes I also get more of the cleaning responsibilities, but a lot of the time I get to play with the kids which I think is the best job in the world!
My husband goes to work every morning and deals with other people's kids and high schoolers at that. My kids may back talk, but I can do something about it. When his "kids" during the day back talk there isn't a whole lot he can do...well in the sense that I can anyway.
I am grateful everyday for our partnership. I hesitate to say that everything is equal in our marriage. To be honest I don't think they are ever quite equal. But by saying we have an equal partnership I like to think that it means we have agreed upon what our "equal share" is.
There are many things I really don't like to do and things he doesn't. I am in charge of the money because we save more when I do it. He takes the responsibility of home maintenance. Not that I can't do it I just really don't like to do it! We've agreed upon these things and many more. I love that we have the ability to do that.
I have a friend whos marriage is not based upon anything that involves a partnership and it makes me sad that they are both so frustrated all the time because they have never taken the time to discuss things that govern their everyday lives. Our responsibilities do govern our lives, if one of us doesn't make dinner none of us eat (and the children turn into Monsters). If we don't know who is going to pay the bills they don't get paid and something gets turned off. Being in a partnership doesn't mean that I've given up anything. It means we both know what is going on.
My mom and I joke that we run our homes. In essence we do. However, it's usually because my husband and my father don't typically care what happens. And, if they do happen to care about something they tell us and then a discussion occurs as to deciding what should be done.
I love my husband dearly and I'm so glad that we can have an "equal" partnership!
If you'd like to see more Wordfull Wednesdays go to Chocolate on My Cranium!
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I can't imagine not feeling equal! Thanks for sharing...
I'm in charge of the finances too. ☺ My kids always joke they know when dad's been with me shopping because there's lots of flavors of ice cream and potato chips.
Post a Comment