Sunday, March 8, 2009

Disabled blessings

This last week I had finally had enough, I was crocheting last Saturday and I realized my right hand was numb. I've been having pain and weakness in my right wrist since right before Phillip was born. At the time they attributed it to being pregnant. Then when he was about 10 months old I asked the doctor about it again and was told it hurt from overuse and to use a brace. So I got a brace. But, 2 years is a little much and I can't do a lot of things that I enjoy because of the pain. So, I gave in and went to see the doctor on Tuesday. He x-rayed it and decided that it most likely is sever tendinitis or carpel tunnel. Then I was told I needed a cortisone shot. He told me if I wanted I could go home and get up the courage to come back for the shots. Now, I'm not a big fan of needles. However, being the frugal person that I am I declined his invitation and chose to have the shots right then. As it turns out, the shots were quite painful. He kept apologizing to me, which I find a little funny because truth be told there are a few things (okay a lot of things) more painful than getting those shots. The up side to the shot was that it had a local anesthetic in it and so the pain I walked in with was gone by the time I left. However, I am stuck in a very limiting brace for at least 2 weeks. I'm not supposed to use my wrist at all, which the brace assures I obey. Unfortunately for my family that means I can't do a whole lot, and changing diapers is a pain in my posterior! But, Stuart can cook us dinner for the next little while since HS boys swimming is over and USA has a 2 week break.

But, this also means the Easter dresses I was planning on starting for my girls are put on hold...along with a whole plethora of other projects that require my dominant hand. But, on the plus side....I CAN go through things to donate and organize things that I've been meaning to get to with 1 hand. I can also play connect 4 which Samuel has challenged me to a game of! I suppose if I look close enough this could be a blessing in disguise.

I had the pleasure this weekend to attend Time Out for Women in Denver. I LOVE Michael McLean! And I've discovered that I really enjoy Mary Ellen Edmunds. What a great time I had with some great friends! And, I got to connect with some old friends I hadn't seen in a while...yea for me!

2 comments:

The Cleverley's said...

Ok, so that totally stinks. My mom had carpal tunnel(in both hands), and she was basically useless for nearly a whole year. Hopefully you won't have to go through that. It's not easy with little kids running around. It's good to see you're looking at the positive side of this though.

James and Aimee said...

Oh, Chaney, I'm so sorry. You sound quite optimistic, I'm glad about that. I hope you'll be healed and well soon!