Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I LOVE books!

I am an avid reader. When I was younger I had a book drawer and rather than ground me when I didn't do my chores or got in trouble my mom would take away my book drawer. However because I have small children I tend to pick books that are VERY quick reads because I will stay up well in to the night to read a book. I do love a good Romance though, and if that romance takes place in Scotland, Ireland or England in Medieval times all the better in my opinion. I'm not sure if I have any books that I LOVE from this genre though.

I also love books based in the Civil War Era such as the Faith of our Fathers series by Nancy Campbell Allen. I also enjoy reading the The Kingdom and the Crown series by Gerald Lund. I LOVE how those books give a different perspective than the one I already have of the events that happened. Since I seem to be listing off books to read I'll give another suggestion if you haven't read them is the books by Orson Scott Card; Sarah, Rebekah, Rachel and Leah. I wasn't sure about these 3 books to begin with, however I found that these women may have been A LOT different from the women I was taught about growing up.

My all time favorite is Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery. I have ALWAYS loved this book and can read it over and over again. I love how I can get lost in the characters and live vicariously through Anne.

It's kind of funny that I list all these books (or series) that I like to read, because I have a very hard time picking out books for myself to read. I don't have issues picking out books for my children to read; however for myself I usually depend upon the recommendation of others (especially my sister-in-law Aimee and my mother-in-law...they pick out the GREATEST books!). For this reason I LOVE going to book club because I am somewhat forced to read books I may never have picked up (such as the Beekeepers Apprentice by Laurie King).

And since the weather seems to be warming up, what a perfect opportunity to head outside while the kids play and read a good book! Happy Reading!

8 comments:

Montserrat said...

I think Anne of Green Gables is one of my all time favorites as well.

I love all the book recommendations everyone is posting!

Esther said...

I'm embarassed to say, but I've never read Ann of Green Gables. I've been trying to get my daughter to pick it up, but maybe I'll hang on to it a little while longer for myself :)

Itty_Bitty_Wittes said...

mmm...Anne of Green Gables, oh and The Boxcar Children! Such great Memories!

Aimee said...

I'm so glad you get to go to book club! I LOVE book club. Oh, and any book recommendations I give to you I probably got from book club or someone in my family. I never just pick out a book for myself either! It's too scary!

The Cleverley's said...

That's so neat that you read all of those. For myself i have a hard time reading fiction. I LOVE to read also. I just tend to pick up no-fiction/biographies/educational books. I wish I could say I've read some of the books you've listed, but I can't ever seem to get past 50 pages or so of fiction. Crazy.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Great lists! I loved Orson Scott Card's Sarah, and I need to pick up the rest of his Women of the Bible series. Of course I love love love Anne!

My son has read some of the boxcar children, and it was fun bringing back those memories when he started reading some of my old favorites.

Momza said...

This reminds me of my oldest son...when he was in trouble, I'd send him to his room and say, .."And NO reading!"--otherwise it wasn't a punishment but a break to go off and read.

He still loves to read.

Ratliffs said...

I think I've read pretty much everything you listed! :) One that I thought about while reading your list was Prelude to Glory. Fits in there with Faith of our Fathers and Work in the Glory. (It's about the founding fathers and life back then. VERY good)