Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Wordful Wednesday-Books

I LOVE to read! My children love to read. When my oldest son was 3 he decided that he needed to know how to read and asked me to teach him. To my surprise it was incredibly easy (and it prompted his older sister to decide it couldn't possibly be that hard since her younger brother was doing it). I used a book called Teach your Child to read in 100 easy lessons. My sister-in-laws swear by the book so I thought I'd give it a try. Turns out it was great! It didn't take all 100 lessons, I'm not sure we even got half way through the book. But it gave us the foundation that we expanded upon with other books.

One of my favorite books to read with them (before they started reading to me) was (is with my younger children) Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? by Dr. Seuss. I'm not normally a big fan of Dr. Seuss, but I absolutely LOVE this book. I love that we go through the whole book and make all of the noises. I love that my older children will make the noises right along with our two-year-old. It has to be one of the best books for children! I also really enjoy Dr. Seuss's ABC book. My husband majored in music and taught music for a few years before moving on to be a Spanish teacher; and he used this book for warmups in his classes. When we read this book it is always sung in our home. That may sound funny, but it's great to hear everybody singing a book!

8 comments:

Mommymita said...

I like the sing songy books too... they keep me awake when I read to the kids.

Becky said...

I can remember remember reading Mr. Brown Can Moo...at my grandmother's house. I may still have her copy on my shelf. :)

kjha said...

It is so fun to read things together, literally together! Those are both fun books.

Montserrat said...

My oldests girls loved Mr. Brown Can Moo! I wonder what happened to our copy....hmmmm.

Reading together has been one of our families favorite activities.

Aimee said...

We love those books too. Is there any specific tune you sing to? That would be so fun!

Esther said...

Oh, I like that idea of the younger one "encouraging" the older one to get moving!

Kodelle said...

My girls can't read yet but we absolutely love Mr. Brown. They know all the sounds and can practically recite the book.

Anne said...

My children love sing songy books too. Our favorite it Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.