Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wordful Wednesday

When I was growing up my mother was EVERYTHING. She did everything, she's just an amazing woman. And even though my mom has always been there for me (I wrote about her as my hero a while ago for Wordful Wednesday), I thought I'd pick someone else in my life who has technically never been a mother and yet has mothered so very many.

This wonderful woman is my Great Aunt Ila. Aunt Ila was born in 1911 and grew up on a farm in Nebraska. She (if I remember correctly) has several degrees, worked as a business woman and also married a man I have never personally me. She lived through the Great Depression, not being able to have children and the death of her husband, parents and all of her siblings. She is a STRONG woman who rarely lets something stand in her way. She is the epitome of what a lady should be. She is dignified and well poised. She ALWAYS matches and usually wears a hat, even to church when most people today don't think hats are appropriate indoors.
this is Aunt Ila with my youngest daughter- Christmas 2008

Aunt Ila finally submitted a few years ago to live in an Retirement home and has recently moved to the Assisted Living section much to her dismay.

There was a time in my life where I found her old fashioned ways annoying and didn't want to visit her and her opinions since she says whatever is on her mind. However, now I would give almost anything to be able to share my time with her and to learn of her. She has so much knowledge and wisdom. She may say I need to loose a few pounds or that my hair looks obnoxious (like she did when krimpers were the style). But, she also tells me the truth and she adores my children-some of whom are adopted which makes a difference to some people but not to her.

I'm very GRATEFUL to be able to claim her as my Aunt, and I am happy to say that even my children love Aunt Ila. My oldest daughter had an Easter hat on the other day and told me that the next time she goes to see Aunt Ila she's going to wear the hat because Aunt Ila would like to see it. And, KatieJo also likes to "match like Aunt Ila" and would never dream of going to see Aunt Ila unless she is wearing her Sunday best. It's possible that I have influenced my children to behave this way for my Aunt, and it's possible that my mother influenced us to do the same. But Aunt Ila is a lady and deserves our very best.

Happy Mothers Day Aunt Ila, I love you!

5 comments:

Montserrat said...

What a lovely tribute. I have several aunts & great-aunts who never married but mothered those around them.

kjha said...

That was so sweet. I wish we could all learn sooner than later to appreciate those older than we are! sounds like your doing a great job.

Aimee said...

I've heard you talk about Aunt Ila quite a bit, but it's great to learn more about her. It's so wonderful that your kids are getting the chance to know her.

The Cleverley's said...

Sometimes the best mothers are the one's who didn't give us life. It's nice to read about the women who have influenced your life. It gives a little more incite into why you are the superwoman you are!

Jamie said...

I'm so glad you shared about Aunt Ila! What a beautiful person!