The first day of my freshman year in highschool was intimidating enough, then I walked into Mr. Borinski's Biology class. The class was meant for sophomores, however freshmen could opt out of the life science class and skip to Biology. Which is exactly what I did.
As I sat in the back row of the room waiting for the bell to ring to start class I remember thinking that maybe I had taken the wrong class. Would I really be able to handle the stress of a class I wasn't meant to take? The bell rang and Mr. Borinski walked to the front of the room. He wasn't necessarily a scary man, however he was a tad bit intimidating. He proceeded to tell us how hard the year was going to be and how the freshmen in the class should think really hard about whether or not we wanted to cotinue in the class.
He succeeded with a lot of the freshemen, he almost succeeded with me. Until I realized what he was trying to do. He wanted the students who really had no desire to be there out of his class. I don't blame him, and it gave me the resolve to take the class and do my very best.
I LOVED biology and went on to take his AP Biology class and the genetics class he taught as well. I'm not altogether sure why it is that I think he is such a great teacher, but I do know that I had fun in his classes. Something about him made me sit at the edge of my chair and soak up the information he was teaching us.
Right before our AP exam he took our AP Biology class on a retreat to Breckenridge, CO for a 4 day study session. Who knew studying with 13 other kids for 4 straight days would be so much fun?!?
If I was to be a highschool teacher (which will never happen because highschoolers are WAY to mouthy), I would want to be like Mr. Borinski.
I'm really glad that I stuck it out and stayed in the class. If I hadn't I may not have had the opportunity to have Mr. Borinski as a teacher as there were 2 other teachers who taught Biology.
It's funny to look back and evaluate the different teachers I had through school. Maybe I just really liked science because the other teacher who stands out was also a science teacher. I can see his face, but his name is eluding me. I know there were a lot of great teachers in my career in school, but Mr. Borinski tops them all.
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Nice story. Great teachers make learning great.
I took AP Biology my freshman year in high school. I was in LOVE with my teacher, he was a great teacher and so cute too...my mother married him actually and now he is my stepdad...AWKWARD!!!
I love good teachers though cute or not!
Good strategy for getting those who don't really want to learn out of the class!
Post a Comment