My sister-in-law does "Wordfull Wednesday", I'm not sure how she either found the blog or knows the person the blog belongs to; but I find it very interesting and feel compelled to do it myself....probably because the topic is "The Act of Giving".
I have been given SO much over the past couple of years. Almost 2 years ago I was pregnant with Phillip (our 3rd child). On December 15th, 2006 I started having pre-term labor. I was exactly 7 months pregnant. At first I had an emergency appointment with my doctor and was given medicine and a couple days later I was still in pain and still having contractions/cramping so I went to the hospital which was 3 hours from our home and my wonderful sister-in-law Aimee met us at the hospital (it was an 1 1/2 hour drive at least for her to get there as well) and took KatieJo and Samuel home with her. (I don't know that I've ever thanked her, it was kind of a blur...so THANK YOU Aimee!)
After spending the night in the hospital I was released the next evening and was given medicine to stop the contractions and cramping and told that I was on bedrest. I wasn't sure how I was going to make it 2 more months without being able to get up and take care of my children's needs. I will be forever grateful for a wonderful visiting teacher who called and set up daycare and meals for us. Not many of the wonderful women who took care of KatieJo and Samuel were members, but they welcomed them into their homes and took care of them when I was unable to do so. Not only did they care for my children everyday the person who watched the kids during the day sent a meal home for us so Stuart wouldn't have to worry about food on top of everything else.
It was extremely hard to accept the help that so many people offered. It's not everyday that I or anybody is placed in a situation that requires that kind of help. But I will never forget how it felt to be on the receiving end of the selfless giving all of those women offered me. I even had to have one sister drive me to my doctor's appointment in Spokane. She wouldn't accept any money for her time or for gas....WOW!
To the women who helped me, it was very insignificant to accept my children into their homes. The vast majority of them had children the same ages as mine and so it wasn't a big deal. But to me it was monumental, and I am EXTREMELY grateful for all of them.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I have a hard time asking for help when I really need it. That is something I am trying to work on...being a little more humble and willing to accept the service offered by others.
Thanks for joining us today! Come on back anytime. :D
Chaney! What a great post! You know I have a hard time accepting help myself. Thanks for all the help you guys gave us. I still feel bad sometimes when I think about sending you home with a 21 month old baby in a spica cast. You were so willing and acted like it was no big deal. And I don't know that I ever really thanked you, so THANK YOU!
Post a Comment