Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Beginnings

I REALLY struggled with this topic. New beginnings? Those happen all the time. We have moved recently and with that came a slew of new beginnings; ones I wanted and many I didn't like unpacking the house and making new friends. But, the house did get unpacked, and I have made new friends. I'll miss my friends up in Washington, it took a long time to make them and I'm grateful for them (and the phone call today with them asking me to come up next Saturday for a 30th birthday party. I looked up plane tickets...it would cost $600 ish for me and 2 kids to fly up..not bad right? Too bad the soon to be 30-year-old will be at my house next month!).

I'm not the type of person that handles change or surprises well. Every birthday, holiday or any other reason that I may possibly get a gift I BEG my husband (and then the kids) to tell me what I'm going to get. I HATE surprises! I HATE change even more. I'm routine oriented. I like everything to be the same. And I like to be in CONTROL. So, New beginnings is something I'm not very good at.

I did however take the bulls by the horn this year. After our move I came to the conclusion that if I didn't invite some women over to get to know them...I would never get to know anybody. And since our plan is to not move again I decided I really needed to make an effort. So I did. I invited some ladies over for lunch. The first lunch didn't last long, but it was a start. Soon we had breakfast and now a lot of them go to play group once a week (of course we've gone out to lunch after that as well).

But, new beginnings also imply I should be doing something "NEW" right? So I've thought it over, and I've come to the conclusion that I could be a much better wife and mother. A sister on Sunday bore her testimony in relief society and said that there are things about her husband that drive her nuts and so she hasn't been the wife that she should have been for a very long time and her goal for the new year is to be a better wife.

So, I'm not making resolutions this year, I'm making goals. A goal to me is something that is attainable, and resolution is something that I usually have forgotten about oh...yesterday.
So, my goal this year is to try to improve my attitude with my children and my sweet husband. It isn't always bad, but if I have a bad day....so do they. I once heard someone say that your attitude affects the house...so choose wisely. And so that is my goal: To Choose Wisely. We'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

Montserrat said...

Good words to live by - Choose Wisely. If only everyone followed that counsel.

The Cleverley's said...

AMEN SISTER! I need to do a little of that kind of change too. I hate being short tempered and irritable with my kids, but how does one get past it when they do everything to make you nuts?????

James and Aimee said...

It is so true, isn't it? When I'm stressed, everyone else gets stressed and we get into this whole rotten vicious cycle. Life is so much better if I can choose wisely first.