Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Wordful Wednesday

I'm not altogether sure it is truly a Christmas Carol as in my opinion a Christmas Carol is one that is sung by many every year (such as for caroling). However, I LOVE the song Breath of Heaven written by Chris Eaton and Amy Grant.

The song was written in 1992 and was part of Amy Grant's second Christmas album entitled Home for Christmas. Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song) was the biggest hit on the album. The song is written from Mary's view of the nativity story. Amy Grant was pregnant at the time it was written and said that "she was inspired by her pregnancy to reflect on Mary's struggle."

The focus of most Christmas carols is Christ, which of course is appropriate. However, there were a lot of struggles going on at the time of Christ's birth. As a mother I find Mary's struggle hits close to home. I don't know if Mary really realized what was to become of the baby that she carried, but I think she knew how important he was just not quiet the reason why.

The lyrics written here are Amy Grant's version. According to one website I visited, Chris Eaton changed the lyrics to take out most references to Mary.

Breath of Heaven


I have traveled many moonless nights
Cold and weary with a babe inside
And I wonder what I’ve done
Holy Father, You have come
And Chosen my now to carry your Son

I am waiting in a silent prayer
I am frightened by the load I bear
In a world as cold as stone
Must I walk this path alone?
Be with me now, be with me now.

Breath of Heaven, hold me together
Be forever near me, breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven, lighten my darkness
Pour over me Your holiness for You are holy
Breath of Heaven

Do You wonder when You watch my face
If a wiser one should have had my place?
But I offer all I am for the mercy of Your plan
Help me be strong, help me be strong
Help me be strong, help me

Breath of Heaven, hold me together
Be forever near me, breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven, lighten my darkness
Pour over me Your holiness, for You are holy

Breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven

5 comments:

Montserrat said...

My daughters love listening to Amy Grant. I think I'll have to find this and download it for them to listen to. I love the point of view in the song. Lovely.

James and Aimee said...

I've never heard of this song. Thanks, Chaney I'll have to find it!

Ratliffs said...

I don't think I've ever heard of this one either! I love Amy Grant...I'm going to have to look for this one. I love all songs that are from Mary's perspective. They really tug at my mommy heart strings!

kjha said...

I was just thinking the other day that I wish I had the Amy Grant album...maybe I'll go get it after reading this! I forgot how good she is.

Sea Star said...

What a great song. I will have to find it so I can hear it. The words are lovely.