Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wordful Wednesday

This topic stumped me. How DO I show affection? So, I turned to my most reliable resource....my wonderful husband. He smiled at me and said "Food".

"What?" I asked

"Not necessarily food, but you show it through food or crafts or gifts. You want to give something or do something for people."

As I think more about it, he's right. I like my house to be clean not only for me, but it's part of how I show my love for my family. I enjoy cooking and baking as long as my family is enjoying it (although I do make pea soup despite their complaints because I like it!).

I enjoy making things for my friends and family. I LOVE coming up with new things to make them, and I LOVE buying them things; especially if I get a good deal on the item because I am EXTREMELY frugal!

I try to be very vocal with my love for my children. I tend to be critical and even though I know I love my children I make a point to cuddle with them or give them "eskimo kisses" at random moments. I also try to put notes in their lunch boxes telling them how much I love them.

As for my husband, I attempt to bring him lunch at work almost everyday.

I would consider myself "behind the scenes" in regards to my show of affection. I don't enjoy public display of affections, although I am a very huggy person as I come from a very huggy family. I enjoy getting hugs, and I enjoy giving hugs. I remember right after Stuart and I were married, my grandma was saying goodbye to Stuart and she gave him a hug and planted a kiss right smack dab on the lips. Stuart isn't from a very "touchy, feely" family and so I'm sure you can imagine the look on his face. He has since grown accustomed to my family and that part of the family. It just goes to show how "huggy" I am. However, if I am in public I do NOT like to show affection. Which is one of the reasons Stuart enjoys singing about me in public because I will literally walk (or run) as fast as I can away from him. He thinks it's hilarious and will chase me singing about how beautiful I am.

I sure do LOVE my family!

7 comments:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Great post, I think it is so true that we as women often act out our feelings through service, food, and attention. We do eskimo kisses too--there is something so affectionate about that, I like them better than lip kisses.

MaryAnne said...

I think it's really sweet that your bring your husband lunch every day.

Desiree said...

I'm not a big public affection person either, but I do love to shower my family with hugs and kisses all day long. Bringing lunch to your hubby every day is neat too.

Montserrat said...

Maybe sometime you should turn the tables on him and sing to him! It'd be fun to see his reaction to that.

I think it's woonderful all the things you do to show your love for your family.

Aimee said...

Ha ha ha! Why am I not surprised that Stuart's answer was food? That was a great post to read. Thanks Chaney!

The Cleverley's said...

That's cute. Making things both in the kitchen and in the craft room can be very calming. It's a gift to those who give AND those who receive.

kjha said...

I love it when my husband sings to me, although if he ever did it in public I think I'd run away too!