Okay, so nothing is missing anymore, but I really did loose Samuel earlier this week.
School gets out at 2:55 and my kids ride the bus home. Not because we live so far from the school that I can't drive to the school to pick them up but because they want to ride the bus and since they are the first stop and it takes about 7 minutes to get to our stop. So on Monday I left my friend Cindy's house at 2:50 and ran home real quick and got to the bus stop at 2:57. If you noticed, that is 2 minutes after school gets out. 2 minutes is not enough time to make a 5-7 minute drive (depending on the speed the bus is driving). KatieJo however was already starting to walk home with 2 fourth graders and was about to turn the corner from the park onto our street (which then winds it's way up to our house). I asked her and the other girls where Samuel was. KatieJo kinda freaked out and said "He was with me when I got on the bus but he didn't get off". The other girls collaborated her story and so she jumped in the car really quickly and I scanned the park to see if he was there and called his name. Of course, no response. So, I chased after the bus which wasn't in sight. I caught up to the bus about 10 minutes later and ran up to the bus and Samuel wasn't on the bus. (Thank you to Cindy's son Isaac who saw him get off the bus.)
So I sped, and I do mean SPED back to the park. I don't speed, so this was a big deal for me (especially the 60 mph in a 15 mph Hospital zone). I got back to the park, threw the car into park and ran around screaming Samuel's name. It was at this point I got hysterical because I couldn't find him.
I of course didn't have the cell phone as Stuart was out of town and had it with him, but I did have the house phone in the van since I had just made a quick call outside our house to Stuart. So, my plan was to drive home and call Cindy and have her call the cops as I continued looking for him. As I drove up the street and got 4 houses from ours I found Samuel walking home. I pulled him into the drivers seat and both of us had a good cry.
As it turns out he had seen me at the park but couldn't catch up and made it 4-5 blocks the opposite direction of our house trying to catch me and then he turned around and started running home.
Granted he should have stayed with KatieJo, but I am MAD that the school lets the buses leave before school gets out! I have called 2 times before to complain about it and the bus barn lady told me that the buses have to make it to the Middle School and High School. Wouldn't it make more sense to have 12-18 year-olds wait at the school for the bus rather than drop elementary students off BEFORE the scheduled time for the bus to drop the kids off? I've also talked to the superintendent who blew me off as well.
I've shot a very nicely worded letter off to the Principal and Superintendent. I know it's nicely worded letter because it has taken me until today to calm down enough to write a nicely worded letter.
We now have a contigency plan, and a list of who the kids are supposed to call. We also had a BIG talk about strangers. I'm sad that I had to tell them about what people could do to them, but we live less than a mile from I-80 and you just never know. I'm also sad to say that I hope I scared them. It scares me to think that I could have lost my little boy, and I am VERY grateful I found him, but anything could have happened.
I'm sorry this post is a little depressing, I just needed to write about it.
Thanks for reading!
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
That was sooo scary. I pray that action will be taken. If not beware of the wrath of the Chaney!!!
I totally feel for you. The thought of loosing one of my kids terrifies me. I'm glad everyone is found and is ok. Sometimes a good scare is needed for these kids to understand the necessity of sticking together, There is safety in numbers.
Oh my gosh Chaney, that is so scary! I am so glad that he was okay and that nothing had happened to him. I am glad that you found him pretty soon too, not soon enough, but I'm glad that the cops didn't have to be out looking too. Yeah, I've had the "stranger talk" with my kids too. It's sad that we have to do that, but we do and it's out of love. Just today we were talking about the kind of scream they need to yell if something ever happens...and that's the only time that we yell like that!:) I'm glad that everyone is safe!
Post a Comment