Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Inspiration-Wordful Wednesdays

My mother (Kathie) with 3 of my children

When I was little I used to think that my mom knew everything. To this day I still think she knows a WHOLE lot. However there was a point in my life when I didn't think she knew anything at all. Which on my part was just being ignorant.

For as long as I could remember my mom was always going to school and working full-time. At the time I took her for granted. She was just there to provide for us...right? Now that I have children of my own (and I don't work full-time outside of the house and I don't go to school full-time), I finally realize how much she really had on her plate. My mother has two bachelors degrees, and a Master plus 80 hours. She is one smart woman who is constantly bettering herself. (Although she says she won't be getting a doctorate degree.) It took me having children of my own to realize how much my own mother gave up to continue on with her career and her schooling. I can't imagine leaving my children everyday and be gone for hours upon hours and then having to do her practicum (she is a school psychologist). She was just plain amazing.

She inspires me to be a better person. It is because of her that I love to read. It is because of her that I love to do crafts and that I can sew (even though when she wanted to teach me I had no desire to learn). It is because of her that I am the person that I am...although I would say my dad did play a HUGE part in that as well. And it is her that plays the grandmother role to a perfect T. My children, even the ones who won't go to anyone but me will choose to spend time with her over me.

I'm thankful to be able to call her my mother and I'm grateful to call her my friend.

8 comments:

Godlonton Family Adventures said...

I, too, am totally inspired by my mother. I wish I could go back 20 years and tell her how much she will inspire the person I become!

Becky said...

So sweet. Moms are the best!

kjha said...

Aren't mom's the greatest. I look forward to the day when my girls will appreciate me as a mother! :)

Montserrat said...

Mothers really do rock the cradle and consequently the world, don't they?

Esther said...

Probably daily I think...if only, if only I would have let her teach me more....sewing, baking, keeping such a clean house...and the list goes on :)

Aimee said...

You do have an awesome mom! I have often been amazed by her and her accomplishments. And her kindness. What a wonderful lady!

Jamie said...

Moms are amazing!

Kodelle said...

I have to agree - it doesn't get better than "mom" no matter how old you are.