Monday, October 13, 2008

Homework

My gosh, do teachers not realize that kindergartners and first graders should be playing and not doing a minimum of 2 hours of homework?

Granted Samuel goes up to first grade for math and reading and gets the first grade homework sent home. But my goodness....KatieJo had at least 5 worksheets to do and Samuel had I think 7. We tried to hurry and get homework done before soccer. (which was a bomb because it was 36 degrees outside and Phillip screamed the whole time because he didn't want to put his mittens on. I finally convinced him to stick his hands into my unzipped coat to which he would stick them under my arms into the sleeves, pull them out to clap when someone scored and then quickly stick them back in.) But, it didn't get done before soccer 1. because Phillip kept stealing their papers and then their pencils and would take off running; 2. because KatieJo just couldn't figure out what one of the questions was asking and thought it was more fun to watch Phillip steal Samuel's papers etc. and 3. There was just a whole boat load of homework.

So, now it's almost 9 and KatieJo has finally finished hers and Samuel is working on his last sheet. I'd say my kids are slow after the amount of time we've spent on it tonight, but the teachers keep telling me their at the top of the class.

Can't wait for tomorrow, I KNOW there is only 2 sheets of homework; which with talking and snack eating usually takes about an hour (including bathroom breaks). The 1st grade teacher sends a list home on Monday with all the worksheets for the week. But for some reason they had added homework today....DARN teachers!

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Do you ever worry that by the time that they are in middle school, you will no longer be smart enough to help with homework? I would like to go back to school just for that reason alone!!

Chaney said...

Occasionally I worry, however that's when we'll call Uncle James :0).

James and Aimee said...

I totally worry about that too. We have the homework woes at our house too. But only with Annie. Every night Mon-Thur she has at least 3 assignments sometimes 4. Stephen, on the other hand, has to read for 15 min. and practice his spelling words which only takes about 2 min. He is a good speller! Yeah!!! Poor Annie has issues with this arrangement. But what do you do?