Sunday, October 12, 2008

Winter coats

We organized our basement yesterday. Sounds exciting, I know. But all the rubbermaid containers of kids clothes that I am WAY to cheap to part with were right inside the basement door. So, we re-arranged everything and finished opening any boxes in the basement. I'm proud to say that I think we opened the last box. Yes there are 3 boxes left in the basement, 2 are Stuart's music stuff that we haven't figured out what to do with yet (he's not convinced he's done teaching music) and a box of kids stuff.

This however wasn't the point of my post. We also went through looking for halloween costumes, winter coats and hats & gloves. Like I said before, I'm cheap. I spent the summer going to garage sales with my mother in Broomfield (they have AWESOME garage sales!) and bought my kids clothes, winter coats and anything else we may have needed for our new home.

I managed to buy Phillip 2 winter coats (and found another the other day), Samuel got a new "used" coat (Which gives him 2-he tends to loose everything, we have to have a backup!) and somehow along the way KatieJo only has her coat from last year; which fits in the length. However, her arms must have grown by leaps and bounds and are too long for the sleeves. So, I was forced yesterday to order a coat with the hopes that her old coat will tide her over until the new one gets here. I can't believe I spent $50 (with shipping) on a coat!!! JCPennys was having some sales, but I thought I'd see if I could get her a little nicer of a coat since I planned on buying it big so she can wear it next year (see, the cheapness in me coming out). I did manage to find a Columbia Jacket for $40. It was the same price on sale as the JCPenny's coats and so that's what we chose. The coat isn't pink (as she would have preferred since pink is "her color") but black is much easier to keep clean.

I sometimes think it's a flaw or should I say a strange quirk that I am as cheap as I am. I don't think there are many things besides our bed that I actually paid full price for. (Oh and Stuart's flat screen TV...but I have to admit that's nice.) The vast majority of things in our home have come from garage sales or my favorite store...the ARC thrift store (That place is AWESOME!). I like to think that I have to be cheap or we'd never afford anything because Stuart's a teacher and well, we all know they don't top the scales as far as paychecks go. But, I think it's nature (well and a lot of nurture). I talked to my mom and sister yesterday and both were garge saleing and my mom had just been to ARC. Guess it runs in my family!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I prefer to not look at it as cheap, but as taking advantage of others extravagance. They have too many things and there for have to get rid of them. We are just nice enough to take it off of their hands. It's all how you look at it!!